Chickney is part of the five parishes of Broxted, Tilty, Great and Little Easton. The parish church is of Saxon origin.

 

Descriptive Gazetteer entry for Chickney (John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

CHICKNEY, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; 3 miles NE of Elsenham railway station, and 3¼ SW of Thaxted. Post town, Thaxted, under Chelmsford. Acres, 700. Real property, £831. Pop., 76. Houses, 13. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £164. Patron, Capt. H. Byng, R. N. The church is good.


White's Directory of Essex 1848 - list of inhabitants

Samuel Chipperfield, farmer, Spring-gate
James Clark, farmer, Chickney Hall
Thomas Joyce, farmer, Sibleys

If you wish to trace any of these people on the census returns, the nearest census date for this 1848 directory is the 1851 census. There are a number of commercial providers of census returns. These include:

Please note, however, that the 1851 census returns for Chickney are missing from the census returns at the Public Record Office.

White's Directory of Essex 1863 - list of inhabitants.

Samuel Chipperfield, Spring-gate
James Perry, Chickney Hall
Thomas Joyce, Sibleys Farm
Joseph Smith, parish clerk


Post Office Directory of Essex 1874 - list of inhabitants.
Daniel Camp, parish clerk
Thomas Woodley Brand, farmer, Hall Farm
Mrs. Elizabeth Chipperfield, farmer, Spring-gate
Thomas Joyce, farmer, Sibleys


Details about the Tithes of Chickney

Essex Newsman Saturday 5th April 1913