|Henham History||Henham Parish Site||Contact Us|
We are very grateful to the owners of Forge Cottage for their generosity in allowing us to make over 70 images from numerous documents relating primarily to the history of the property and its occupants.
The third lot of documents refers to James Hayden late a customary cophold tenant of Henham Manor who died on the 25th September 1869 having first made a will dated the 13th August 1869 and which was proved on the 22nd October. He bequeathed his estate to his wife, Emma Hayden. Consequently on the 14th October 1869 she requested admission to the tenancy of the customary or copyhold cottage or tenement known as 'Danes' in Henham but which was now divided into and used as three tenements with the yards, gardens, orchards, outhouses and appurtenances and late in the occupation of Thomas Phillips, Henry Ansell and Thomas Ansell and now occupied by Squires and Henry Ansell and Thomas Ansell. This is the property to which James Hayden was admitted tenant at a court held on the 25th July 1855 on the surrender of Edward Bright. Also included is a piece of waste ground, estimated in area as 6 rods, enclosed by James and lying opposite the said copyhold mentioned above which included a cottage or tenement erected by James to whic he was admitted tenant on the 25th October 1848. Also included was the customary messuage or cottage in Henham where Mary Dennison, widow, once lived with the blacksmiths shop, outbuildings, stables and appurtenances formerly the estate of Mary Mead and lately occupied by James Hayden to which he was admitted tenant on the 5th August 1862 on the surrender of Radcvliffe Pearl Todd and others to which Emma Hayden was granted.
Below is the last Will of James Hayden made on the 13th August 1869. He describes himself as living in Henham and being a blacksmith. He leaves his estate to his wife Emma. He appoints Emma and Edward Mills of Britannia Brewery Ltd, Old Kent Road, Surrey as his executors. It was witnessed by John Newman of The Cock Inn, Henham and Martha Mills of 42, Trafalgar Road, Old Kent Road. The Will was proved on the 22nd Oct 1869
The remaining documents can be accessed by selecting one of the dates below -
|Conveyance 1986||To current owners|
|Conveyance 28 August 1923||Josiah Henry Matthews to Eleanor Kate Banister and Kathleen Bassett Banister|
|Conveyance 21 July 1915||Wright to Matthews|
|Conveyance 15 October 1908||Willett to Matthews|
|Conveyance 23 August 1901||Gardiner to Matthews|
The documents can be accessed by selecting one of the dates below -
|Intro||1860 17th February||1862 5th April||1869 14th October|
|1875 14th April||1878 29th September||1901 10th July||1901 31st July|
|1901 23rd August||1908 15th October||1915 21st July||1923 28th August|
|1928||1949 25th Sept||1950 17th Aug||1978 27th Sept|