We are very grateful to Miss Pimblett, Eaton & Frances Roberts (also for their accompanying text) , Gill Turner, Joy Lafferty, Pat Meads and many other residents for their help to build this collection of photographs

click on a photograph to see the enlarged picture

 

 

the high street in the mid 1940s
The High Street in the mid 1940s

the high street in the early 1900s
The High Street in the early 1900s
the moat house and cottage 1909
The Moat and Moat Cottage, Hall Road 1909
the new tractor 1938 Nathan Turner
the new tractor 1938 Nathan Turner on Easter Day before the Second World War. Nathan was the foreman at Pledgdon Hall. He was sadly killed by a bomb which was dropped on the farm during the war.
Wood End Green
WoodEnd Green - the Horse Chestnuts were planted to commemorate the coronation of George V1 in 1937. Ordered and paid for by the Parish Council, they were supplied by Gerald Braeckman, who kept a tree and shrub nursery at Old Mead. George Camp, Peter Powter and Stan Smith were employed to plant them. Mr Braeckman planted many trees and hedges in the area around Henham, Elsenham and Stansted.
Yarrow Cottage
Yarrow Cottage or Hall before WW1 with Datchet Mead in the background
Charity handout
Villagers queuing to receive 'Bread Charity' before the Second World War. The first charity in Henham began in 1641 when 'Henry Smith Esq. gave by deed an estate in this county (at Tolleshunt D'Arcy) to feoffees in trust to pay 12 out of 140 shares to the church wardens and overseers of Henham, to be distributed by them in either bread, flesh or fish to the sober and honest poor of this parish'. Legend has it that Henry Smith was once a poor man and when he became wealthy he remembered the places where he had been treated with kindness during his days of poverty.

In 1644 John Mewsant (Measant ?) left income from land to be distributed to 'single poor persons over the age of 52 years as shall have lived in Henham for the space of two years and are not known to have either husband, wife, son or daughter dwelling in the parish'. In 1822 Susan Dorothy Dixon gave £100, the interest to be given every year at Christmas in bread to the poor of this parish. In 1836 George Henry Glyn gave a cottage, the rent of which was to be given in fuel at Christmas. The Rev Glyn also endowed Henham with its first school. Lastly in 1839 James Amery gave £100, dividends of which to be given in bread yearly to the poor on the 3rd Sunday in January. Queuing for the Bread Charity ceased after the Second World War. Now the income from these charities is given in shopping vouchers which can be spent at the village shop.
Wedding of Warner and Dennison
Sept 20th 1913. The wedding of Thomas Warner (aged 23 years) and Kate Dennison (aged 22 years). The wedding was witnessed by Fred Warner and Alice Elizabeth Dennison in the presence of George Warner and James Dennison
Walter Cornell
1961 Walter Cornell combining on Mr Weir's farm, Little Henham Hall, whose fields are adjacent to those of Parsonage Farm
Farming in Henham
Brian Hollingsworth, February 1976. Brian worked on Parsonage Farm all of his life, even before leaving school
z001
Mel Pimblett's horses at Parsonage Farm
z002
Cock in springtime
Church in springtime