We are very grateful to Miss Pimblett, Carol Eaton & Frances Roberts (also for their accompanying text), Gill Turner, Joy Lafferty, Pat Meads and many other residents for their help to build this collection of photographs

click on a photograph to see the enlarged picture

Chicney Road
High Street, Henham. The second house on the right (now called 'Haydens') was owned by Frank Wright the cobbler and this was where he had his shop. He also owned a piece of land opposite his shop, which is why the close which is there now is called Wright's Piece.
carol048
Mrs Stent in her garden at Peddars Way. She lived in the right-hand side of the cottage and Mr & Mrs Savill lived in the left one. It was Mrs Savill who named the house 'Peddars Way'. Mr Savill set fire to the thatch one day when he had a bonfire in his garden which is why it is now tiled. These cottages are now one house.
Chickney Road
Chickney Road c1911. On the right is Pleasant Cottage. If you look carefully you can see, attached to the side of the cottage, a corrugated roofed section which used to be a shop. This shop was first run by Bertha Endersby, then by the Mussell family. On the green in front of the cottage is a water pump with a bucket waiting to be filled.
Henham Lodge Farmhouse
Henham Lodge in the 1950s. An early 17th century building, with parts of the house dating back to the 1400s. It was on a Lodge Farm field that the famous 'Henham Dragon' was supposedly last seen. In 1946 when Jim Smith bought the 500 acre farm he employed 14 men. By 2001 there were only 2 men.
Sheep Dipping
Sheep-dipping in Elsenham. It was the law to have police present while dipping. Henham's sheep dip was in Carter's Lane
Football Team 1938 39
Henham Football Club 1938-39. The team played on the field behind the council houses in Mill Road. It was lent to them by John Pimblett, of Parsonage Farm, who is seated between the players in the middle of the front row.

Back row from the left: Eric Gray, unknown, Percy Snow, unknown, Ted Lindsell, Fred Clayden, Harry Shoebridge, Bert Vaughan, Norman Foster, Bob Wellington, Sid Vaughan, Jim Power, George Willet and Clifford Smith.

Front row: Norman Wright, Tom Clarke, Ron Brown, two unknowns, Stan Smith, John Pimblett, John Dixon, Alec Wright, Vic Vaughan, Reg Vaughan and Frank Snow
Best Kept Village Sign
1955 - the first time Henham won the 'Best Kept Village' award. For many years this picture was used by the hayter Company to advertise their mowers. In return, due to some smart negotiating by Jim Smith, Henham was given the mower to cut the village greens.
Pledgdon Hall
1890s Pledgdon Hall. Standing outside are Mr & Mrs Newport who were the tenants at the hall until 1893. They later emigrated to Australia. This photograph and several others which appeared in 'Memories of Henham' were sent over from Australia by the Newport's descendants. Since the first Norman stronghold was built there there have been a succession of houses - most of the present building is 17th century but parts date from the 15th century. The original house is mentioned in the Domesday Book. From 1919 it has been the home of the Smith Family.
carol097
The 'pre-fabs', School lane. Built after the Second World War for emergency housing, they were still being used by Essex County Council for short-term accommodation until they were demolished. The first came down in 1975. More were demolished in '84 and the final two, pictured above, were flattend in 1991.
z006 Woodend Green
Bays Cottage
School Green in Edwardian Times
School Green in Edwardian times
School Green in 1907
1907 School Green. Behind the lady is Mr Moss' cottage before the shop had been added
The Chase paddock
Farm workers resting in The Chase paddock which is now The Chase cul-de-sac off Church Street
z022
The Bury c1920, known in the 18th century as The Maltings
High Street