Henham History Henham Parish Site Contact Us




We are very grateful to Miss Pimblett, Carol Eaton & Frances Roberts (also for their accompanying text), Gill Turner, Joy Lafferty, Pat Meads and many other residents for their help to build this collection of photographs

click on a photograph to see the enlarged picture

henham wedding2
A King family wedding party outside Suckling Cottage in 1902
2007 - Bernard King has kindly sent us this photo today. It is of his grandparents, Charlie King and Florence White, on their wedding day, 16th May 1905, as they posed on the grass verge outside “Uncle Albert and Auntie Mabel’s cottage” (as he always knew it) with their relatives all dressed up for a special day. The cottage, decked out with Union flags, is the end one of the row of thatched cottages in Crow St., opposite the school. Charlie King was the son of Frederick and the brother of the “F King” whose name appears on the War Memorial on the green. His name was Frank. Another brother, Walter, died in 1955. Bernard believes that there is another stone roll of honour in the church which includes a “Frederick King” but thinks this must be a mistake of the stonemason - it should be “Frank King”. Florence was the daughter of Alfred White, the baker.
thatcher church end 1907
Mr Dixon the thatcher - note that he's smoking a cigarette ! Church End in 1907
cricket 1 cricket 2
the dixons clearing snow in 1963 1930 Mrs cCark aged about 87
Don and Vic Dixon clearing snow in 1963 1930 - Mrs Clark aged about 87
Jack Marshall cutting hay i nthe 1930s
a steam engine used for threshing on Lodge Farm in the 1930s Jack Marshall cutting hay in the 1930s
1938 last load of hay miss gardiner the post mistress
1938 - the last load of hay Miss Gardiner the post mistress in later years
sandy marshall shepherd at lodge farm
Sandy Marshall, shepherd at Lodge Farm