We are so grateful to several branches of the King family - Bernard, Tony, John and Amanda - for the following information and photos. Our joint contact resulted in a memorable family lunch at ‘The Cock’.
Bernard King’s grandparents were Charlie King and Florence White. It was Bernard who sent us one of our most-prized family photos, now shown above, of the couple with the family outside ‘Uncle Albert & Auntie Mabel’s cottage’ (known as Suckling Cottage at the northern end of Crow Street just before Chantry Hall). on their wedding day, 16th May 1905.
Charlie King was the son of Frederick and the brother of the “F King” whose name appears on the War Memorial on the green. His name was Frank. Another brother, Walter, was also killed in WW 1 and his name also appears in the wooden roll of honour in the church. Bernard noticed that on this website there is another stone roll of honour in the church which includes a “Frederick King” but thinks this must be a mistake of the stonemason - it should be of his distant relative ”Frank King”. Florence was the daughter of Alfred White, the baker.
Our thanks to all the family for the following photographic gallery